Statue by Sir Moses Jacob Ezekiel, 1909
Located at the State Capitol Complex, facing Kanawha Blvd near California Ave.
The famous Confederate general was born in what is now Clarksburg, WV in 1824. Commissioned by the Daughters of the Confederacy, the statue was moved to its current location after the original Capitol Building burned in 1921. The artist, who was a Confederate soldier, cast this high-plinth bronze sculpture while living in Rome.
Images and text courtesy of the Charleston Public Art Guide