Sculpture by Robert Erle Martens, 1941
Located in the entryway of Boulevard Tower, 1018 Kanawha Blvd., East, corner of Leon Sullivan Way
The sculptor, who studied at the Cranbrook Academy of Art and Yale University, formed the firm Martens and Son Architects with his son Walter. The firm was commissioned to make the building, which was known as the Union Carbide Building, as well as the bronze statue and reliefs in the building’s entryway.
Images and text courtesy of the Charleston Public Art Guide